Now available as a book!

Reflections of a Vo...
By Tara Sleggs

Tuesday, 10 November 2009

Things that have made me laugh in the last week...

After a less than cheery account of a funeral I thought I’d write a few things that have made me laugh in the last week to balance it out!

 

·         Renting out a movie after being assured it was in English to find that they were technically correct but it was accompanied by a very loud Ethiopian man helpfully describing what was happening in the film in Amharic (so that it was impossible to hear the English).

·         During a game of Charades a fellow VSO volunteer, who shall remain nameless but works in the Ministry of Education working on the national English language improvement strategy, tried to tell us that 100 is a word with 2 syllables.

·         After Solomon (my colleague) had been teasing me endlessly about the fact that I couldn’t say the Ethiopian T’ and K’ sounds and boasting that Ethiopians can say every sound I asked him to say ‘that thing’ and all he could say was ‘Zat Ting’!

·         The TV Show SCRUBS which someone kindly put on my external hard drive.

·         Seeing my friends faces first thing in the morning after staying at my house and witnessing an all night church service by megaphone...they now know I wasn’t exaggerating about the noise!

·         Getting my colleagues to try and say ‘ Conjuncta –skive-alitis’

·         Richard running towards the TV in the restaurant trying to catch the football scores...but forgetting he was still wearing the ‘party hat’ that we gave him for his 60th birthday.

·         As a young man tried to get a bit over friendly with me, seeing a friend come to my rescue armed with an umbrella!

·         A letter from Lucy!

·         The fact that a local lad who had asked Joanne for money then got a birr out of his own pocket and offered to give it to her after finding out she was a volunteer!

·         A weekend filled with giggles as I had seven friends from Addis and two from Nekemte staying.

No comments:

Post a Comment